About F.B.I.

A few thoughts on the series and movies watched

May 29, 2010

Smart Kid Review



Genre: Ancient, Comedy, Drama
Number of episodes: 30 (~45 minutes)
Released year: 2001
Executive company/producer: China Film Group Corporation, and Gala Television Corporation
Broadcast: TVB
Producer: Lee Ying Nin
Directors: Ma Jing Wu, and Kan Tak Mau
Filmed location: China
Theme song: ‘I want to act wildly’ by Dicky Cheung
Number of times watched: ~2

Story about a smart ‘monk’ who was helping the Emperor to find someone and unexpectedly became a teacher.

There are lots of different genres in this series.

Cast
Dicky Cheung Wai Kin
Li Bing Bing
Law Kar Ying
He Mei Tian
Xue Jianing
Nie Yuan
Ma Jing Wu
Shen Xiao Hai
Li Jin Rong
Jiang Hong
Xue Jia Ning
Huang Hai Bing
Wang Shuo

I watched this when it was on TVB back in the day. One of the first series I’ve seen on TV and if you read my ‘about page’ it would have said most of it.
Since I didn’t really watch it and I forgot about it already I decided to watch it again.

Performances
Dicky Cheung is my favorite so there isn’t much to say about him other than he is great.

I am someone who likes modern more than ancient/period stuff. I always thought that because modern is easier to connect to and is funnier compared.
Lately I have been watching lots of Dicky’s series again and all of them are not modern! Most (if not all) of the stuff Dicky filmed is not modern but he can still make it so funny. Maybe because he was one of the constant appearing actors when I first started watching Chinese series and he is so good no one else can compare with him. I guess that makes ancient series slowly loses its place.

The students were pretty much the best part even if ‘Dai Koon’ was not a great one to watch and later on adding Nie Yuan ‘Chu Ching’ and Shen Xiao Hai ‘Ning Wong’ didn’t help either. Politics aren’t that fun to watch.

Out of all students, Wang Shuo’s ‘Ying Fung’ was the best story to watch although it was a bit extreme (process and change). Most of the students were a bit extreme too but everyone was special and had a role.

Relationships
There were 3 main ones
Dicky and Li Bing Bing were the bickering pair. They matched well and was enjoyable to watch.

He Mei Tian and Li Jin Rong’s story could have been more focused on since it was more interesting, but of course not the ‘looking at each other only’ shots.

Nie Yuan and Xue Jia Ning story was a bit boring. Take their time and give it to the above 2 (or 4) and it would have better. Especially when they come in the second half and they didn’t make it better.


Since it was a China production, lots of people were dubbed and that messes up a lot of things but it is still a good series to watch, especially for all those Dicky fans like me.

My Rating: 8/10, might re-watch

0 comments:

Post a Comment