About F.B.I.

A few thoughts on the series and movies watched



Genre: Ancient, Costume, Romance, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction
Number of episodes: 39 (~35-45 minutes TV) 35 (~45 minutes DVD)
Released year: 2011
Executive company/producer: Yu Zheng Workshop, Au Yeung Sheung Lam
Broadcast: Hunan TV
Producer: Yu Zheng, He Jin
Production planner/manager: Lui Wun Bun
Script editors/supervisors: Yu Zheng
Scriptwriter: Yu Zheng
Directors: Lee Wai Chu
Filmed location: China, Heng Dian
Theme song: 'Support Love' by Mickey He & Xiang Ying (episode 1-20) and Yang Mi (episode 21-35)
Number of times watched: 1

A 21st century girl accidentally time travels to the 1700s Qing dynasty when Kang Xi was the emperor. She meets her favourite historical figure 4th Prince future Emperor Yong Zheng…

Cast
Mini Yang Mi
William Feng Shao Feng
Mickey He Sheng Ming
Sonija Kwok Sin Nei
Tong Li Ya
Kent Tong Chun Yip
Leanne Liu Shue Hua
Maggie Shiu Mei Ki
Zhang Tong
Coco Lui Yi
Ren Quan
Zong Feng Yan
Vicki He
Amber Xu
Ma Wen Long
Liu Bin
Tian Zhen Wei
Mao Zijun
Wilson Guo Ming Coeng

Palace/Gong seemed to have a lot of people discussing/watching so I thought I’d give it a try, plus Sonija and Maggie (two actresses I like) were both in it so I decided to watch it.

I am not a fan of China series especially when there are Hong Kong/Cantonese speaking actors/actresses that means they have to dub their voices. Surprisingly this wasn't too bad, but that might also be the fact instead of a certain people, every one's voices were dubbed, the sound was more consistence even if it didn't always match their mouths.
Now I also understand why TVB artist say they get more rest, they don't really need to memorize the script that thoroughly/precise.

Other than Sonija and Maggie, I only knew Kent Tong and Feng Shao Feng so everyone was pretty 'new'.

Yang Mi and Feng Shao Feng did make a pretty sweet couple, no wonder there are lots of people who like them and there is a pre-production/discussion of Gong/Palace 2 being in progress which would be sweet if they continue their story.

Sonija Kwok was the Consort that wanted the King so used lots of ideas to get his attention. Probably not something new if you've seen Sonija's previous/beginning period series but I haven't really seen much but can guess how much she has improved. There were a few 'funny' scenes, especially in the beginning, one I remember was teasing Yang Mi.

Mickey He wasn't that likable most likely because he was almost emotionless, probably because of the character/script. Hopefully Palace 2 gives him a better role and partner since his 'wives' were not great actresses.

Leanne Liu is the mother that you can't say is scheming because mothers who do stuff for their children are never that 'evil'. Saw on her wiki page that she can cry within 3 seconds and saw that amazing skill of hers. Really amazing!

Maggie Shiu was only a guest role so not a lot of screen time. Loved the part when she told Yang Mi the story of the King and her but other than that she didn't have much to do. Thought she would still have a scene or two but I guess she just 'disappeared' after she disappeared.

Most of the other actors and actresses didn't seem to be that great, probably because they weren't really the focus, so the script didn't give them much to do or maybe I am just not used to mandarin/what they were talking about because most of it was scheming and wasn't that interesting.

Only side story that more interesting was 13th Prince + Princess but that was really really short.



Other than some not as good acting, the script seemed too modern… although there was time travel everyone else should be more 'ancient', their dialogue sometimes just makes me laugh because it is so modern. Really makes me scratch my head hearing 'slang' especially by the palace maids which always have to be so bitchy.
It is also amazing how even if it is after 10+ years hardly any of their looks change or hardly anything changed.

Even if it isn't a great script and great acting, there was still something that hooked me to the story. Maybe it is the chemistry between Yang Mi and Feng Shao Feng or maybe it was the hoping of a Maggie or Sonija scene popping up soon, but I think Yang Mi and Feng Shao Feng were the ones that made me somewhat addicted to the show.

I guess I will still have something to look forward to even if TVB decides to air Heaven And Earth (after that I don't have anything I am interested in) which they have been tempting me (and probably lots of others) forever… When will it ever air!!!

My Rating:7/10, won't re-watch

0 comments:

Post a Comment